Older But Not Wiser this Sunday

05082011
Sunday


I figured now is the time to write again. Something to think about on this eventful day of another Manny Pacquiao awakening !!!! Congratulations Manny on being floored !!! Referee and opponent Mosely stinks !!! 12 rounds and going strong but not strong enough to knockout a good friend down on even grounds!!!! This time Manny gives another person a career and billing lights in keeping Sugar Shane Mosely up and not down.

I visited an exhibit of an artist friend Jonathan Ching at Blanc Mandaluyong and it was so so. Ching is already a veteran of exhibits locally and abroad. Quite a feat really. He has the sophistication and experience of an older artist with a time proven formula. Discipline and tenacity. Add a bit of sugar still it was a bit too bland.

I guess the deal was did Jonathan Ching get his act right on time? We get older and sometimes wiser just riding the waves and not going against it. It will be a comfortable ride from here on then. It is years of complacent struggle that we kinda fall prey to. I understand the works and like the idea of assemblages but on periodic colors and coffee table settings. It was a tad to safe... Where is the brand of anger and struggle in his paintings? But I guess jolly Jonathan Ching will never be that. He would opt to fold papers and metals on his spare time. Where is the hunger, unpredictability and indignity sometimes an artist goes through? It will never be a terrible painting but it could not dislodge the sense of security on status he now enjoys as a mature artist with nothing to prove. Nice guy and nicer paintings I would say.

Heck! I have seen a lot of these in my days and guess would be seeing more through the years if I could not help it. Reminds me of settling down barefoot with a string apron tied around the waist. If he wasn't male I would say it was done by a barefoot pregnant woman. An older matronly friend could relate I would guess. Stitching is the way to go nowadays. Hahahahaha! Hope he sees the light of day and throws away his mittens and bite the bullet hard. Getting wearily hitched might just be around the corner but likely a detrimental thing to everything a wild, weird and wasted artist could do.

It's like Pacquiao's latest fight today which I saw via live streaming. It was an older man who has it all against an older man who is about to lose it all. The fight was a gentleman's fight so you would expect it not to be a crowd pleasing fight.

Early on the third fight you get to know that Manny Pacquiao could easily turn it to a memorable fight with knocking Shane Mosely down with finesse. But one just have to wait after knocking him down until the 12th round. Please the paying crowd. Of course please a sparring partner's ego. There was no follow through. Who could really fight a good friend unless this friend pushes you down on the ring, on the 10th round? You then realize you were too complacent and not doing your job right.

But who would Manny Pacquiao listen to nowadays that he has his accolades, band of brothers, great respect and adoring fans who look up to him as god given talent. It's a higher ground he stands on and not many could be eye level with him despite him being quite small.

Now everyone likes drama to a degree and when you get that high you sort of want it to always happen. That is always the public. You compromise your standards and "wham !" it will just hit you that your an idiot to a degree. I have expected more and yet saw very little in the fight. The thought of Manny Pacquiao being booed by the crowd who wants always blood, pushed by his opponent on live broadcasting and having to stand fight again was his own private hell magnified. Recognizing it not a fight with his opponent only but a stinking referee who ignored a right and made a huge blunder on showing his bias to public record. We will hear more as the days to come. But that is the difference there. Manny Pacquiao has his belts and his gloves to fight his life. Artists have their canvasses and their pleasing audiences.

I was at PSP today for a sneak preview of the exhibit "Blackgate" for Caloy Gernale's and Tristram's supported venture. I guess this time am speechless and floored even just seeing just a few pieces. I am going to the opening even if Manny Pacquiao crosses my path and beats me up Hahahahahahaha...

On a sadder note. Am still grieving the loss of a parent and yet I am relieved now that I did my best through the years of uneventful hiatus and despite sacrificing my artmaking for working in a bank... But am proud I still have my razor teeth intact. Till next time though.

P.S. New bigger exhibit spaces are here to stay and new younger artists will always show their mark. Kudos to empowerment in the Philippine Art scene. Just prove them that you have the staying power to last the 12th round with hardly a scratch on your face. Get Manuel Ocampo to scratch your back and maybe add a doodle or two. Just maybe you could be made. Hahahaha. Hatton better get a new face as you have an axe to grind with Manny Pacquiao. Too scared to get in the ring again I guess. Me am just shitless. My mojos are back. Care to dance with me?


What to expect this week. I am going to MC on the 14th of May to wave the Philippine flag. This will be a great show of challenging artists and older challenging artists. Be speechless for a week though. Have to see this event by Tin-aw Gallery feat MC.

MONUMENTAL

in partnership with
Manila Contemporary

May 14 - May 29, 2011

Mike Adrao
Plet Bolipata
Elmer Borlongan
Antipas Delotavo
Alfredo Esquillo Jr.
Mark Justiniani
Joy Mallari
Ferdie Montemayor
Maya Munoz
Jose Santos III

More power to co-producing the better shows.



Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
http://www.facebook.com/miel.roldan

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


P.S. A friend posted this disclosure. I am willing to try it out.

Warning: Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or... the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Comments

Popular Posts