The Exhibit About Shoes and Feet


The Exhibit About Shoes and Feet
June 29, 2009, 9:14 am
***05 28 2009



It was warm last night when I went to an opening at Yuchengco Museum at RCBC Plaza in Makati City with some friends. It was the first opportunity for me to see the spaces there and some of the permanent exhibits. I had foremost in mind to see the exhibit "Portraits of Shoes and Stories of Feet" at the upper exhibit rooms. A friend recommended it. I noticed though that the museum could invest in interactive voice automated information while viewing the permanent collections or the exhibits. I observed to my disappointment that the space outside of the museum is just like a large ashtray with people going there to smoke rather than visit the collections or breathe fresh air in Makati. (That is if one could still find a place without smog).
I remembered years before so many instances that I accompanied my mom to Marikina City and carried her shoe stocks. Lugging them around was tough then. I also remembered we had at home boxes and plastics of so many different shoes. Seeing the exhibit surprised me that I had retained pleasant memories in my childhood despite sharing the house with hundreds of different shoes. Maybe being older and able to appreciate them more as experiences and learning had something to add. I also remember lately, leisurely going to Mantataring shops in Cebu and just looking at different shoes and leather products. I admire good boots and old fashioned shoes very much. I am happy that in this instance, skills and good workmanship are still appreciated by Filipinos today. The tradition still lives on in parts of the country. Going back to more important business.

I was engaged reading through the trivia's and looking at photographs of the shoe exhibit. Marikina City as shoe district has been up since 1935. Looking at the different shoes on display amazed me that we have such contemporary concepts, designs and creativity in craft and arts. Inviting artists and personalities to highlight the plight of Philippine made shoes offered a great opportunity for all. I hope a lot of Filipino audiences would be aware of the exhibit and collections. Filipinos are very good with working with our hands and could appreciate these qualities. The times have brought in cheaper imports and machines to replace them yet we still appreciate the quality made ones. Usually they all would be lovingly accentuated or hand made. They would always be well worn on special occasions. The influx of surplus and secondhand shoes sold cheaply would affect the market though. They are affordable for everyday use. We could not not appreciate this too and it is a challenge that should go hand in hand.This will have a longer term effect. Handmade shoes might be lost in years of anonymity but I am sure better shoes would prevail. Documenting and creating awareness of Filipino shoe designers, makers and their works could help add to and preserve our heritage.

I also had the opportunity to talk with Pete Jimenez on his opening "If the Shoe Fits" at the Water Dragon Gallery in Yuchengco Museum. I liked his concepts and the opportunity he took advantage of when he incorporated wooden shoe molds to his metal sculptures. It complemented the shoe exhibit on the upper rooms. The gallery space was new to me and it was interesting to explore as a curator and space designer. It had pillars, corners, a balcony and stairs but it had ample lighting that gave the sculptural pieces their own spaces. The walls would be ideal for medium and smaller pieces. The series though has possibilities for the artist to follow through. I would suggest though that some could be worked more for forms and less for the novelty of appropriated or found objects. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of artists' penchant for highlighting muck, crudity and excuses for works. It could only go so much.



 *** A Disclosure for My Blogs


My Humble Apologies to Everyone.

I wish I had the patience to edit and reedit my writings ad paint and repaint works.     I know I missed a lot of errors.     I tend to drag, digress, compromise, and be emotional about accounts.     A typical OCD.     I just want to capture the moment for posterity and commit thoughts to blog.     Staring at a blank piece of paper, I just want to make my marks.     I enjoy writing and will continue until the end.     I enjoy editing and repainting.     Live life fully.     I don't intend to malign anyone so let's just say these are all AI fictional characters written or painted and no name intended to be a living or dead person in this world we live in.   All creations in this private world are mine and mine alone.   lol ...  


Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at ChatGPT-4
http://www.facebook.com/miel .roldan

and my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica .com/profiles/ag-roldan.html


please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


https://paypal.me/AmielGeraldRoldan



PS A friend posted this disclosure. I am willing to try it out.

Warning: Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or... the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents therein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Stay In New York City

A Disclosure for My Blogs

Ruminating Death