The New Generation

The New Generation

May 17, 2009, 8:30 pm
***05 18 2009


     It's another Monday.   I just visited a few more exhibitions and talked with the artists there.   I have been busy uploading pictures that I have neglected to write some more.   I especially wanted to write down ideas these coming days while waiting for developments from my interviews.   I would plan my years to come through these results and am eager to start.   I will be making proposals for group exhibitions too and have been committing ideas to work on.   I know I will have to commit some works this year.

      It is good that a lot of changes and developments have happened around us.   A lot of structures created are now potentials for exhibiting spaces and better awareness to hone our aesthetics.   I could not imagine how we survived our time when we lacked these spaces.   Perhaps we were just doing the ministrations while waiting for these spaces to come about.   Laying the groundwork and changing the layout.   Everything seems to be falling into place.   It is up to the individual artist to come up with his own pieces that he could exhibit and support the new galleries.   For the past decade, new galleries have only lasted a year before going kaput and closing down.   History might repeat itself or it might not this time.

      I could not ignore though that choices have been made by my fellow artists and we are reaping these choices as I write this article.   Some have sown good ones, some still waiting for tangible results but a lot too have erred.   Small errors are likely to be blown up and big ones might just be let go.   Who knows too much about the fickleness of the Filipino audiences?   I am amazed that I see now a lot of uncooperative artists now on a complete turnaround.  Perhaps a new leaf has been turned.   Maybe we should just be supportive too as this whole system supports us.   Family of artists has grown stronger.   I see that young ones now are going to college and former young ones have families.   These would change the development of their artworks.   I am proud that in this era artists are stronger to change and constantly reinvent themselves.   We grow stronger as we evolve.   Those who don't would always lag behind and would fail their artmaking eventually.   I could not ignore though that new blood has infused the Philippine Art scene.   They would be the generation to nurture and encourage.   We would see more of them in the coming exhibitions and lets hope that they would be more responsible and lead their peers.  They seem to be active with interacting with fellow artists and joining group shows.   I just am aware too that there are a lot of distractions and vices that they would be prone too.   I hope they could survive these immersions for the better.

      Let us hope the new generation would lead a new path to follow.   With the recession and the influx of young artists we could definitely see a better Philippine Art.   If these new generation would be at the helm of changes and institutions then we could see the ideas and concepts for a better playing field.   It still amazes me to see the good spaces we now have to choose from.   Still I have my inclinations for independence and empowerment of the young artists.   But we do have to commit at one time or another.   We would always be better if we look towards the future guided by the past examples.  

     History does repeat itself sometimes as I cringed to see them repeated by my fellow artists.   I would always stress the importance of family to change.   As individuals we see daily challenges to overcome and our families have been by our side and if not they have always been on our minds.   They prove to be our downfall if we neglect them.   They prove to be our challenges if we go alongside them.  

    Perhaps because it is normal to be encouraged to be better and to succeed that most would seem to be detractors.   If one could only see a balance to improve on then we would all be better persons and eventually better artists.

    I hate vices, drugs and neglect of our health.   I could not only overemphasize to avoid and keep your sanity in these times.   There are options.   They may not be enough for all at one time but they would open up eventually for each.   It is our hunger that keeps us active but it also causes us to gamble wrongly.  Let's hope that this would not be true for the next generation as I see it sometimes happening to mine.   Neglect of family and self I abhor and neglect of dependent children I condemn.

    I lived on teaching when I was in college and have been in a lot of work since then.   I am not ashamed to say I have stumbled a lot of times.   I know I have stood up.   I have challenged my peers as we grew up.   In these challenges I matured.   As I grow older I would again make my choices to prepare where I would go from there.   It seems scary but we have always been bothered by challenges.  
    It is placing ourselves between permanency and changes that seem so uncertain.   Well that is the challenge of life!   We only move forward to accept it or move to a different path to go parallel with it.  
    We can never go back.   Let us also hope that the path laid before us by our predecessors we would not neglect and lay to waste as we pursue our own dreams and build our own paths.   Let these directions be roads and paths that future generations could rest upon while building their alleyways and foundation.

    If on times we might fail the younger generation, be steadfast, breathe, let this be an instance to rest, try again. While we admit our own failures, as persons, we are stronger in strength as Filipino artists.





 *** A Disclosure for My Blogs


My Humble Apologies to Everyone.

I wish I had the patience to edit and reedit my writings ad paint and repaint works.     I know I missed a lot of errors.     I tend to drag, digress, compromise, and be emotional about accounts.     A typical OCD.     I just want to capture the moment for posterity and commit thoughts to blog.     Staring at a blank piece of paper, I just want to make my marks.     I enjoy writing and will continue until the end.     I enjoy editing and repainting.     Live life fully.     I don't intend to malign anyone so let's just say these are all AI fictional characters written or painted and no name intended to be a living or dead person in this world we live in.   All creations in this private world are mine and mine alone.   lol ...  


Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at ChatGPT-4
http://www.facebook.com/miel .roldan

and my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica .com/profiles/ag-roldan.html


please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


https://paypal.me/AmielGeraldRoldan
09493258682



******





Some Great Spaces
May 10, 2009, 12:26 am
****05 10 2009

      Had a blast with the opening at Finale last May 9. They had three good exhibitions on view and I appreciate the time and effort that the artists gave... The artists Wire Tuazon, Keiye Miranda and Lena Cobangbang bring a new level of appreciation to contemporary art.. The pieces all worked well for the three solo shows in Finale.   It was a very good space to work in and they had taken advantage of it to the hilt...

     Warehouses would be more practical for a lot of artists and galleries as they offer the best space to work with, store large pieces for consignment and/or exhibit shows.   I had been waiting for the structures for years to be available and used efficiently for these purposes as it gives a better chance for better shows.   It is also economical in the long run.   I admire the tenacity of galleries and artists to change with the times... Kudos!  There is more to expect with the years to come.   I can't wait for the newer exhibits and concepts.   The auctions had opened a venue and I am happy for that.   Filipinos are aware of good spaces to exhibit in the Philippines and look for better artists to see.   This is so challenging for the times.   We would all benefit with the influx of artists who had exhibited abroad, the demand for better exhibits and the good spaces being maintained here in the Philippines.   It would not take long for international organizations to be aware of these robust contemporary developments.  
     These are very good opportunities for all.




 *** A Disclosure for My Blogs


My Humble Apologies to Everyone.

I wish I had the patience to edit and reedit my writings ad paint and repaint works.      I know I missed a lot of errors.      I tend to drag, digress, compromise, and be emotional about accounts.      A typical OCD.      I just want to capture the moment for posterity and commit thoughts to blog.      Staring at a blank piece of paper, I just want to make my marks.      I enjoy writing and will continue until the end.      I enjoy editing and repainting.      Live life fully.      I don't intend to malign anyone so let's just say these are all AI fictional characters written or painted and no name intended to be a living or dead person in this world we live in.    All creations in this private world are mine and mine alone.    lol ...  


Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at ChatGPT-4
http://www.facebook.com/miel .roldan

and my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica .com/profiles/ag-roldan.html


please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


https://paypal.me/AmielGeraldRoldan
09493258682



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Stay In New York City

A Disclosure for My Blogs

Ruminating Death