A Curator’s Talk

08 16 2009


It was drizzling this Sunday afternoon and I was again an hour late. I thought that they could have also started late. Ha ha ha ha. When I arrived, there were a lot of interesting people. This is a great time. Pity Eileen wasn't in attendance. On second thoughts. I wondered why? I caught a glimpse of other artists and some people at the end that I didn't know and sat put on the nearest vacant chair. I missed the opening last night again for the many times now. It still was a good idea to come today though. There was an informal talk happening and wanted to catch some ideas and maybe get a broader sense of the atmosphere right now in the Philippine Art Scene. I am sure there were a lot of going ons and plans that I am quite curious about. Hmmmm. Earlier, I heard that the space beside Finale Gallery would soon be a collection museum cum gallery for Charlie C. This is exciting. This person has been collecting the pieces I had seen at most of the better exhibits for almost fifteen years I had been in this art business. I wanted to see them again. If you have the funds buy good works by young artists in their best shows and in ten years time be seen and be envied. Turning green. Ha ha ha ha. Sigh. I am happy that the Pasong Tamo Extension Makati warehouses are now viable spaces for both art collectors and art galleries. Business is booming again. I am hoping that artists now would also set up shop here for their own larger studios. What a great place to go visit from time to time. I want also to set up in the future a space along these lines probably along this road too. Sigh . Wishful thinking though. Going back to the talk.

I wanted to hear the curator of the exhibit Ronald Achocoso speak about the ongoing show at Manila Contemporary. I wanted to see other curators and writers there. When I arrived, I caught sight of some works and wanted to go around but since the talk has been going on for an hour or so I wanted to hear at least some of the gist. Chabet was asking a question about an artist cum curator's prerogative on exhibiting his own works. Hmmm. Tacky question. One could do so but one's responsibility and ethical decisions would be questioned outright. Further it should border on the added work's importance to the whole exhibit concept. A curator should guide the exhibit and treat each artists' work as one would handle one's own piece. This exchange went on as the owner Valentine supported quite rightly that one should not be afraid of the stronger works as they complement the whole exhibit. Or about an artist curating his own exhibit like some artists in the 60's cited by Chabet who successfully pulled it off. Rightly so, as Achocoso had a piece in the show of an exhibit he curated. Double whammy.

The show I could see was an effort though. I like several pieces on their own. The pieces by Louie and Ching were a bit out of place. Pacquing was a good solid piece all on its own. I thought Trek's was a lot of hard work of assemblages of paint painstakingly shaped and sized. Chabet's piece was just great. (I took a picture of the framed piece on the floor reflecting the neon and nylon string overhead). Poklong's piece was reflective. Tan and Ilarde's individual pieces would find that one has to contemplate hard. Bacolor's was stacking. Ringo's was obstructive and Reamillo's was predicted. I also found that I hated collaborated works with your own grade school students. I am happy about the show as a gauge. But a bit disappointed with some of the outcome of the works. Tsk tsk tsk tsk.

The talk went on. I decided that I would look at the works now while other topics were discussed. I couldn't help grinning when certain topics about the National Artist came up. It is always presumed that the distinction is awarded to a Filipino Citizen and not to one who is an immigrant. I wonder if one could hold his head up for that award if the artist and rightly accept it if one is processing immigrant papers, is being petitioned or had expressed himself or herself to be willing to be a citizen of another country. Would dual citizenship be eligible for a National Artist Award? If one is a citizen of another country does he or she have a say on criteria of National distinctions? There are laws on condemning, critical rallying and expressing subversive views and sentiments while one is in a foreign land. Hmmmm. I wonder how the Philippines would fair in a sensitive situation like this. The Philippine art scene is indeed a phenomenon. We have the talents and the art. We have the resources and the education. We have the critical thinking and passions. We are active and creative. Perhaps a boom is in the offing. China has shown potentials to support its artists and galleries. It has opened the Hong Kong scene and Mainland China to the international scene. The recession has just temporarily brought a halt to China's expansion yet they are committed to the hilt by this early time. There is no going back for them. Watching the structures they have already created for their arts is a great marvel indeed. The Philippines is just as dynamic if not with greater talents and better artists.

I decided I would watch this good situation unfold and hold my card close. Very, very close.

I went around with new acquaintance Agnes L. and Eugene T. to some of the galleries around. It was Sunday so most would be closed. I asked if they saw the Ateneo Art Awards 2009 and they said they did. Something unsaid about the concepts and another artist there picked my curiosity. They were liking what they saw. It was not much with the 13 Artists though. They couldn’t get away too fast to their liking. Hmmmmm. I wondered what disappointed them there. Ha ha ha ha. We talked about some current artists potentials that I would like to leave out for another write up. I really wanted to bring up some of my artists. Ha ha ha ha. I do have some up I really like to work with again and invite to work with me. I just didn’t want them to nix it. I will have to do some more research on Osage Gallery. They were only here for a few days and they were flying back tomorrow. It's great that Eugene would be coming back and staying put. We set probable projects to work on. I still hesitated on giving out too many of my own artists that I work with. But that could be arranged if the project proposals would work with a great exhibit plan. Am more excited for them though. Now, all I need is to collect comprehensive Filipino Artist Resumes for my own files preferably updated. I can't wait to finish my compilations and my concepts shows. Sigh. Time is indeed getting longer when one is excited about the future projects to be had.

It was great to talk with fellow curators and exchange ideas. I admire that Ronald Achocoso would do a better representation through writing, curating if not to exhibiting. I had some time to talk with Chabet and exchange some pleasantries and news. Chabet kept on joking I had a world all on my own. Ha ha ha ha. I knew it had to have an underlining meaning. I very much respect Chabet for being a great teacher in my college days. He has been instrumental for a lot of changes in my ideas and concepts. He has been a contrast and complement at the same time for my education. He was in agreement that the role of a curator is to guide the exhibit and to present the works and concepts in the best possible light. He is a good curator and I wish him the best always..

Agnes asked me who amongst Chabet’s group would be continuing curating. I said that Nilo Ilarde and Gerry Tan were good candidates. Ronald Achocoso would be a good addition. I hesitated saying my name. Amiel Roldan. I can say that I could handle the job very easily. Hahahahaha. You don't say that to acquaintances just yet. Sigh. Ha ha ha ha. Ringo Bunoan is a good contender too. I added that she writes well and coordinates better. I added that Jonathan Olazo needs to work on finetuning just about everything but he does have the resources and the time to do it.

I knew Agnes' gallery abroad. I have been hearing a lot about the space and its artists. Too much second hand information. A lot were colored. But since I am not inclined to any sides yet and no intention of entering the fray this early. I could just enjoy the projects without taking any commitment. It was just that I wasn't here in Manila for a few years now and had not the opportunity to be first hand with the issues. I am meeting a lot of people now with my four months stay in Manila and have enjoying the exhibits. I would catch up easily. Well now, its great that I had taken the time and that there was an event for me to talk with these people. Hopefully we could work further. I hear their artists were great and some of them were friends. I am getting excited about the events again. Sigh. I wanted to confirm some questions about past events and past issues but it was not the time. Ha ha ha ha. Pity.

It would be an interesting year for me. I got off at the next junction and bade my new friends good bye. He he he he. Till next time. They were off to a meeting with their artists at Adriatico Cafe in Cubao. Good luck!




Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
ChatGPT-4 Amiel Roldan

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


******

Comments

Popular Posts