The Prideth Before the Fall

10 12 2009

I am one of those people who can never accept a complement without squirming uncomfortably in fright. Of course for self preservation one could hardly tell. Antagonize me and it just might give me a harder backbone. Maybe through the years I may have controlled my reflexes to a point that I might display an almost poker face and air some disdain. But those where times that I might be steering the topic away from me in the next breath by pointing to anyone else. Maybe giving me a complement would really shut me up if one gets fed up with me talking. Ha ha ha ha. Complements reminds me I am more human and really contrary to it. It is not that I am ashamed about the situation -- far from it though. I thrive on it. Humility is a lifelong learning lesson that I promise that I would learn. Anyone would be preening inside if the complement was true and I guess I am just ordinary and an 'anyone' to believe it. It is just that I knew myself through the years and never wanted it to easily get to my head because if that happens its just not a pretty sight believe me. It was also that being frank has taught me about comeuppance, commitment and patience. I maybe pretty good at bragging about my accomplishments that I stay away from even mentioning any one of them too often. But yes! I am a good printmaker at one point and a studious curator at a stage in my life but learning takes years and sadly once they are not practiced enough you get rusty. I have the best of mentors and damn proud of them too. I also had the breaks that most would envy. What I make of them though is my responsibility and accountability and no one else's. My point is that I enjoy learning, to be challenging and always curious about everything that I seem to look good and be good at anything at all. I kept on denying that I didn't learn that much about curating and consultancy abroad and just have been an artist there on a great tour. But I have been burning brows to make connections and frantically doing my own research about the possibility of being an independent curator. One could have that confidence even in the basic of basics. Maybe I have not really tested my skills and concepts to its sharpest through the years but I know the methods, theories and could easily hone myself to the sharpest if need be. I also had the experience abroad to guide, motivate and help out fellow artists there present their portfolios properly and quite successful at it. I am proud to say. I am always sharp, quite frank and bloody brutal. Skills that I accept but regret that I am very good at. I also have my own pride in my own works that conflict in sharing my ideas at some point when I need to because I need not be a pious artist without getting anything back in all my efforts. I want to see your soul first. Transparencies we leave to priests, actresses, actors, government officials and politicians. Well, to each his own. Concepts not wholly explored to one's satisfactions need not be accountably shared always right? Until an artist's concepts are on canvas literally and shown then he still has control over them. Until one's artworks are ripe and full then it would just fall on its own weight and importance to be contributed. Enough mooning though. I am just happy that I am networking again and some possibilities are in the offer. I might be going to France and Belgium for a spell on my own steam. I am damn proud if I can accomplish those trips on my own steam and prouder if I can get away on those sojourns for free for half a year. Make it a year. Europe and Germany here I come!

It was just that ordinary month of 'ber' and another exhibit opening tonight that I was attending at the Art Center Megamall by a group of young artists quite exuberant about showing larger works through Paseo Gallery's sponsorship. It was a good idea to have Jonathan Olazo to design the show. Gathering the group together and the works to be delivered on time was another detail a bit lacking though. It was an effort to collate different artists from different backgrounds, ages, and techniques together that made it a novelty still. One would have thought it would be a mixed mash outcome but the format and quality of some of the newer works more than made up for the lack. Plus is! I have a few names to follow through for this year. Ha ha ha... I particularly liked the more in your face works by four of the artists but would just forestall mentioning their names yet, this early on. But I did make a point in thanking them upfront and giving a hands up sign of congratulations. I am prouder in a way on the outcome of some of the young artists that I have been able to follow through the years their growth and changes. I was amazed that early on they have these breaks but I could not be envious since all of us at one point had this opportunity. To stress though that I would still encourage them to be professional enough but still be adventurous in their ideas early on. Taking each challenge as they come. Regretting not doing them at all is far worst than making mistakes on details and excesses. But through the years I still could not help cringed at the gaffs I have made. Ha ha ha ha.

I may be going to NCCA this thursday to look up their inaugural exhibits curated by a good friend Noell El Farol around 5 pm. Jonathan is happy about the place and swears by its accessibility, management and spaciousness... Ha ha ha .. I better go see it. Congratulations on the great wedding! I may be thinking about venturing on consultancy in the long run about residencies and grants for free if I liked very much the artists' works rather than the artists themselves and not to greatly spaced apart in between. See you guys there. I am open to questions only if you think your good enough for the grants and have the portfolio to blow me off. I bark loudly and I also bite. Just a reminder guys. Ha ha ha.



Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
www.amiel-roldan.tk
www.amielroldan.tk
www.amielaceremoroldan.tk

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html
www.myspace.com/amiel_roldan
www.amiel_roldan.multiply.com
www.face-pic.com/amiel_roldan

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts