The Exhibits about Shoes and Feet

The Exhibits about Shoes and Feet
05 28 2009

It was warm last night when I went to an opening at Yuchengco Museum at RCBC Plaza in Makati City with some friends. It was the first opportunity for me to see the spaces there and some of the permanent exhibits. I had foremost in mind to see the exhibit "Portraits of Shoes and Stories of Feet" at the upper exhibit rooms. A friend recommended it. I noticed though that the museum could invest in interactive voice automated information while viewing the permanent collections or the exhibits. I observed to my disappointment that the space outside of the museum is just like a large ashtray with people going there to smoke rather than visit the collections or breathe fresh air in Makati. (That is if one could still find a place without smog).

I remembered years before so many instances that I accompanied my mom to Marikina City and carried her shoe stocks. Lugging them around was tough then. I also remembered we had at home boxes and plastics of so many different shoes. Seeing the exhibit surprised me that I had retained pleasant memories in my childhood despite sharing the house with hundreds of different shoes. Maybe being older and able to appreciate them more as experiences and learning had something to add. I also remember lately, leisurely going to Mantataring shops in Cebu and just looking at different shoes and leather products. I admire good boots and old fashioned shoes very much. I am happy that in this instance, skills and good workmanships are still appreciated by Filipinos today. The tradition still lives on in parts of the country. Going back to more important business.

I was engaged reading through the trivia's and looking at photographs of the shoe exhibit. Marikina City as shoe district has been up since 1935. Looking at the different shoes on display amazed me that we have such contemporary concepts, designs and creativity in craft and arts. Inviting artists and personalities to highlight the plight of Philippine made shoes offered a great opportunity for all. I hope a lot of Filipino audiences would be aware of the exhibit and collections. Filipinos are very good with working with our hands and could appreciate these qualities. The times have brought in cheaper imports and machines to replace them yet we still appreciate the quality made ones. Usually they all would be lovingly accentuated or hand made. They would always be well worn on special occasions. The influx of surplus and secondhand shoes cheaply sold would affect the market though. They are affordable for everyday use. We could not not appreciate this too and it is a challenge that should go hand in hand. This will have a longer term effect. Handmade shoes might be lost in years of anonymity but I am sure better shoes would prevail. Documenting and creating awareness of Filipino shoe designers, makers and their works could help add to and preserve our heritage.

I had also the opportunity to talk with Pete Jimenez on his opening "If the Shoe Fits" at the Water Dragon Gallery in Yuchengco Museum. I liked his concepts and the opportunity he took advantage of when he incorporated wooden shoe molds to his metal sculptures. It complemented the shoe exhibit on the upper rooms. The gallery space was new to me and it was interesting to explore as a curator and space designer. It had pillars, corners, a balcony and stairs but it had ample lighting that gave the sculptural pieces their own spaces. The walls would be ideal for medium and smaller pieces. The series though has possibilities for the artist to follow through. I would suggest though that some could be worked more for forms and less for the novelty of appropriated or found objects. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of artists' penchant for highlighting muck, crudity and excuses for works. It could only go so much.

Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
www.amiel-roldan.tk
www.amielroldan.tk
www.amielaceremoroldan.tk

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html
www.myspace.com/amiel_roldan
www.amiel_roldan.multiply.com
www.face-pic.com/amiel_roldan

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts