Munching Cheesesticks

09 24 2009

Perhaps the week could still end the tops for me. I really enjoyed a family gathering last week and all its preparations. I do not know that it could ever be surpassed. My youngest sister just got married in an almost intimate church wedding with a party reception afterward. It allowed for all close family members to witness this newest nuptial celebration. My other sister just tied the knot last February and it was quite unexpected in a pleasant way to have another too soon. Since this is the last of the four weddings I would attend for my sisters it was officially a momentous one for all of us. Until of course my own one. Looking for the right partner could be quite easy but building a lifetime of friendship is quite hard. I guess that I wanted still a person I could talk and be with for the rest of my life without being bored to death. Going back to the event. It was a culmination of six years of friendship turned mush... Ha ha ha ha...

I am a bit sentimental and allowed myself better participation by being the commentator at the wedding. It has been years since I have been to a regular one out of necessity let alone been participatory in masses. I consider myself religious but not devout. Asides from the few straggling events I had willingly gone to, you could hardly drag me in unless there was a better reason than saving my soul. The event was in full blast and could not help it being happy and sentimental about it. It was my family link that I come back to. It was just that it was also a marking and a passage of time. I used to care and still do the youngest of the brood. I was more of a big brother and confidant through the years despite it being contradicting. The others I have been brotherly but I would always talk more with the youngest sister about growing up and lessons learned and gained. It was like sending out a grownup daughter. The people at the mass thought that I was nervous about speaking in public but it was more being emotional and being happy that my family was intact and healthy.

Now for a bit of fun. Exhibitions come and go, Older artist fades and wanes. Galleries closes and opens to the beat of economics. It was hard not to notice that the air was up for changes. I am sorry for a lot who have not known still to keep afloat. I am wary of those that take advantage of groups and decide that they should have the only direction. What a mess they have created so far. Forgettable shows in deteriorating spaces. I hope they burn with their trash and queen bees included.

Being a small part of these changes, I accept with enthusiasm. I have been privy and witness to the struggles within and without. With my spread out meddling I might have caused some heartache and disappointment but this is my life. I have been born to this and just couldn't shut my mouth. Ha ha ha ha. I admire singleness and tenacity in artists and fellows. I will always support them if they keep their visions straight to be better people. I respect young artists with integrity, talent, tenacity and concepts. But it is a time of reinvention and preparation still as always. You should know how to be the master of the undiscovered and better versions. It was not a time for resting on laurels of past. It might be that the mother of photorealism in the Philippines is becoming emo but it is an experience we will share with this generation. It was a time to strive and challenge with certainty with all your influences. It is becoming a power struggle of sorts and being an audience I could only wait with bathed breath and play with my own pieces well. The past few months have been a challenge for older artists to reassert themselves with the new playing field but alas many have gotten off with less than they came in. Thinking auctions and just exhibiting abroad in forgettable and embassy spaces is the way to go. Quite wrong for many. There is a whole new league but with very few top places to occupy. One exhibit wonders are around us without the played out passion. One exhibit galleries are also there to deteriorate in time. It was not anymore hyping of old. It was not of pompous attitude and bulldozing with old names. As we grow older the audiences get younger and younger. It was a chink of neglect. Neglected connections and unsatisfied concepts. Like politics you don't leave your people behind especially the children that would eventually grow older to vote. You don't leave the country and trade in citizenship and hope that you could pick the best of two playing field. One and both would suffer. The newer artists have been aggressive and it would show for the longer run. They also know the ropes and the necessity to prove themselves with lesson learned through experience and observation. I hope they would be stronger for what is to come as new players for the collectors arrive from abroad and within. It would be a whole new field for the Philippine art scene. Damn, I am happy to be in it despite my own shortcomings. We invest and capitalize on our works let it count and be seen. Now that there are newer structures and spaces created around by the influx of investments there are more likely places for good exhibitions spaces, showcases and independent artists studios. I wouldn't wait for them to be unoccupied long. Artists should go out more and display their talents and be proud of our culture. Let go of all that we imbibed through years. Be proud of the older generation who stuck it out with integrity as their dues. Be respectful and helpful of the young. And never ever compromise your self, work, concepts and passion. It would be a crazy world for us to all collaborate but art should be a celebration of life and capitalism.



Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
www.amiel-roldan.tk
www.amielroldan.tk
www.amielaceremoroldan.tk

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html
www.myspace.com/amiel_roldan
www.amiel_roldan.multiply.com
www.face-pic.com/amiel_roldan

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts