That Fat Friday

11 05 2009


I am in for a shock really. What is happening to this world? I have been chatting on ym and described myself as 140 lbs to a chat mate and am accused of being chubby... Sigh. I even slashed a few pounds off the total. Still... Am not really vain but I have to eat humble pie with this revelation. I never felt this discomfited before but am not really angry. I am just amused. Lost for words. I do have to groom myself, be more happy and take care of my health better. My room stinks and I have not really been eating healthy. That goes with being single all these thirty something years. I better get a wife quick or not. I really have nothing to do at home aside from my " plans to do". I should take up sports again in a moderate way. Maybe I could be preoccupied then. Maybe some jogging or basketball. I used to take taekwondo and muay thai but I don't know if I still have the disposition to continue them. I might not have the right incentives to follow through. Boring with little challenge... I've been getting spams about healthfood and some reminders from friends to take up krav maga occasionally. I guess they sent them just to bugger me. I always delete them but am leaning to lesser stress sports. Sleeping ha ha ha ha. More relaxation but am getting too much though nowadays. I come to realize that lately with the bulge. Ha ha ha ha... I can blame it on my pregnant sisters. I am just mimicking and reciprocating. Their husbands should get the belly not poor me. I need someone to pamper me less. Pacquiao is fighting on this weight and am sure he doesn't look chubby at all. I guess no one will be accusing him when he fights this month.

It seems my age is finally catching and so trivial things affect me sometimes... Ha ha ha ha. I used to go out and dress conservatively and still manage to look good. I am into swimming and some marathon. I always joined competitive soccer in my days. Well that was almost twenty years ago. But what the heck I still did some. I should just pack my bags and go to Siargao or Cebu again and live off the sea. Wishful thinking though. I could just pack my bags and head off to Europe then next year and live as a struggling artist. That should be a better option. I could get stringy and beg for food. Then I wont be chubby at all.

With my genes I eat a lot and burn a lot. I walk everywhere and burn some more. I get chubby I admit but I always burn it off as soon as I get to work. Nowadays we get to many young people so obsessed with physical looks that am really bewildered. Did I miss anything at college to be painfully made aware of my looks now and really care about it? Perhaps its the midlife crisis at my age... I am single and not really looking but enjoying life to the fullest and still this bothers me. Ha ha ha ha ha ... "Whatever will come I accept?" is my credo. I had to convince this chat mate that am not fat.. Pity really. Am really on the defensive but can't help but laugh at myself. Get a moderate regimen and a better diet. No more rice for me today and the next day after. Eat only healthy food and be better mobilized. Mhen ! Bummer... What are people eating today that gets them the svelte figures? Hmmmm .. Probably nothing but liquids I bet!

I did read about a sciatic pain that a fellow peer my age was suffering in the depths of hell but I really could not relate yet. Hope it is not really permanent for him. But to describe it as Dante's Inferno you get the gist that its painful. I did on occasion talk about arthritis with a fellow artist who has higher counts of uric acid. He had to stay at home because he couldn't move at all. Hmmmm. It sure sounded the same. It should be just dietary precautions though. When you get it though you will suffer from it. It is time again for me to have my measures as I don't really want my unfortunate struggling life be unbearably immobilizing.

I should get myself some help with exercise then... For the New Year to come am getting leaner and meaner. Perhaps, I should be thankful at least that I get a heads up. Get a better abdomen and more muscles to date for 2010. I did read that some belly is good though for the year 2009. Maybe I should keep some love handles... Hmmmm. But 2010 is another year and I should just think of getting a great one ( six packed abs) for me. More chat mates online. Ha ha ha ha

Am not really bad looking. Just an average guy I guess. I never had complaints before. I had my moments too. They were all good! Am not really sorry about any of them. I guess it just happens.

I am not really looking yet for great gals to live a blissful life with but a better appreciation would do than what I got today. I do get some approvals though on occasion but not really that encouraging fanatic look. I am sure I wouldn't want that kind of fatal attraction. But come to think of it the actors in the movie weren't really physically perfection. It gives me hope then. I do have to be on the dating market soon or miss the bus completely. Naaaah. Am enjoying my pursuits. Just continue with my chatting and maybe I could find someone who thinks 140 lbs is not chubby. Maybe have a great time too. I do tend to scare them off first. Ha ha ha ha...

I enjoyed a few exhibitions to date. Going around seems to be a great idea. I had fewer shots with my camera than I did before but am really just looking to enjoy the experience rather than to keep keepsakes of them. The art scene is indeed a dynamic place to explore. The Philippines would be better with these changes. I am at the crossroads too of being in amidst or/and just being an avid observer. I just like to wonder at times. I used to be young and so full of energy. My experiences speak off them. I see the same enthusiasm with the younger artists. There were times that I would have grabbed those opportunities at an instant if they were available in my generation's time. I would have fought tooth and nail for them. I hope still that the younger ones would see them pass as challenges and be accomplishments of the generations to come. There are grants for 25 and 35 year old artists and I have just too see them pass. I am happy that I could see them now but I hope that others would see their potentials too. Fat Chance!

The air is cooler and Christmas is just around the corner. I'm still stuck here at home. Seems October came through very fast. I should get the move now. Lethargy is me. The only silver linings would be to get myself a blackberry storm, ipod touch, a black jazz honda and an imac. With that I have to sell some works abroad again.. Hmmmm. Not a bad deal really. Still I have to get my visas for Fran Masereel Centrum in Begium for April and May 2010 and France for June and July... Tsk tsk tsk... So many things to do now. Europe here I come chubby or not.

I am happy for "Butterfly's Tongue" at the Manila Contemporary/ West Gallery by Geraldine Javier, "Into the Woods" at Art Center/Finale by Yasmin Sison and the two man show at Tala Gallery by Froilan Calayag and Dexter Fernandez. I am even amazed by Crucible Gallery's show by Chitz Ramirez and Blanc Compound's exhibit by Andres Barrioquintos. I should say that the month of October is a swell time despite the typhoons. It should be a more interesting month for November if I might add to follow.

Let us break it down to details then since am a bit inspired with my efforts on changing the themes on my site and am willing for a discourse.

Geraldine Javier's series is a good discussion for many years to come. A stroke of brilliance at this time for 2009. She remains unchallenged. You might remember that her works lately are the only ones getting stronger in the market scene despite the catastrophic results of auctions and recessions.

Yasmin Sison Ching did pull it off belatedly with these efforts and quite timely. I hope though her collectors remains strong as she will always be the mirror of her peers. With so many interpretations of naif works lately, hers make a fresh play on realism towards a primal landscape. She works too with sentiments of child's play but is also quite disgustingly talented.

Both Geraldine and Yasmin appeal together and one should always be around to read the discourses of their exhibitions. They both have the same atmospheric landscapes and too dark an aura -- I had the pleasure of meeting these artists and quite privy to some of their emotions. So I will always marvel and keep to myself my thoughts about other things. Ahhh women artists. Ha ha ha ha ha...

Like the two artists before, I always liked discourses and finding it amongst two young ones I have to admit was pleasurable. With the long travel to Tala Gallery one marvels if you still have the time to view the works. Well am surprised and happy that I found this niche showing these pieces together in a two man show. Both Froilan Calayag and Dexter Fernandez play with the spaces of the Tala Gallery. Kudos to both. I heard that the artists arranged the pieces themselves. A pleasure too that they had a good crowd and quite an interesting mix of people.

Chitz Ramirez piece at the Crucible Gallery is eye-catching I admit. One would expect a full length movie to be played with all the effort put in but it became a bit like watching auto theft game. It had the lights and good presentation and I marvel the artist on that. It is a good follow up for his body of works.

I should say that I got invited to the show personally and am happy that I did go to see Andres Barrioquintos' works just to put him in the scene. He is undoubtedly a great artist. His colors and technique has finesse. His play though stays the same. He doesn't break the mould but goes to the extreme with it. A good collection. A bit reminiscent of another's pattern and colors though.

There were other shows I did see and found them interesting in their own way. I will see them more and hope to put them up too for scrutiny. There was Don Dalmacio's at Kaida Gallery and Wawi Navarozza at Silverlens. I missed the Mo Space Gallery and am ruing why I haven't been there yet. I saw some very interesting pieces on blogs and wanted firsthand to see them. But Alas! I am also interested with the Pablo Gallery at the Fort. I should make the time to see them now. My losses to bear.

I also commend efforts by Project Space Pilipinas artists Carlo Gabuco, Christopher Zamora and Michael Adrao on their successful stay in South Korea. They exhibited at the PlasticFactory Gallery and it went well. They're back now and raring to go at it. Good show and great catalog. Times are really changing.



Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
www.amiel-roldan.tk
www.amielroldan.tk
www.amielaceremoroldan.tk

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html
www.myspace.com/amiel_roldan
www.amiel_roldan.multiply.com
www.face-pic.com/amiel_roldan

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts