A Good Exhibit and A Great Lady

05 05-06 2009

Went around to some spaces again and talked with some more people...

"Babylon Zoo" exhibit at the blanc gallery in Makati is a two man group painting show. CJ Tanedo and Tyago Almacio were the artists. I had a hard time reconciling were I saw similar images of skulls and morphing human with animal features but the more current and familiar one would be Neil Gaiman. Charlie Co and Kitty Taniguchi in the Philippine context also comes to mind. I observed that flashbacks of these strong images tend to remind us of the funny man or the elephant man of the times... Emphasizing freakyness and absurdities have been with a few Filipino painters. Darkening auras and atmospheric dramas subtly reconfirms the skill. Well, we can't blame them. We have the penchant for Ang Pulubi, Dogeaters, Zuma or Dyesebel in that order in our culture. I think we could add some more to the list though for a few more years. It rained hard that night but I had company and didn't waste anymore time.

"the Metamorphosis show" by Lindslee had an opening at Galeria Duemila compound in Pasay City last night May 5. It was a palette of colors and shapes meant to be contrasting and disturbing that turned out to be aesthetically sound and appealing. The large pieces and works around the space is a pleasure to see when you have a unique spacious gallery. I had room to breathe in each piece and ponder on the play of light and colors on neon and neutral tones that the artist wished to play around. Kudos! I hope a lot of people would take the time to visit the space and the exhibit. The sculptural structures, textures and paints would likely end up with another designer's palette plate much to the artist chagrin.

I had a long talk with the gallery owner reminiscing events through the years. There were several organizations and personalities in the arts that we had in common. These talks though I would have to keep off the writings. Ha ha ha ha. But some were downright eye opening and jaw dropping. I always found her former gallery in Megamall to showcase good and great exhibitions with several artists not really mainstreamed. The discovery of the compound a few years back reinforces the belief of greater trust to support the arts that I felt the owner believes in. Documentation for artists and galleries I fervently believe in. I had been bullheaded with fellow artists about collating pictures, exhibit notes, clippings and reviews through the years. Having heard and learnt Silvana boasting to have a rather extensive one I could really appreciate. Finding the time to see the quality shows Galeria Duemila offers is always a pleasure for me. Talking with Silvana is an added bonus last night. It was always a great experience. A very smart, outspoken and determined lady.

I still have to see some of the pieces exhibited at the Mag:net Space in Makati for the group show--that is not having an opening today -- but I did get to talk with one or two of the artists before and saw their works off hand. I did get to browse the social network for some of the pictures and documentations. Good space and a sound look to the eyes. Small pieces with the correct arrangement and lighting is always cute, pleasing, charming and
a novelty. I would always want that in a pet in a pet store.

I would have to run off again and see the Avellana compound, Silverlens, Finale and Metro Contemporary before the day ends ... All of them seems to be determined to have openings today. Tsk tsk tsk... Hopefully, I could see them all. Got to go and prepare...



Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
www.amiel-roldan.tk
www.amielroldan.tk
www.amielaceremoroldan.tk

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html
www.myspace.com/amiel_roldan
www.amiel_roldan.multiply.com
www.face-pic.com/amiel_roldan

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts