The Writing After Pacquiao vs Hatton Fight!

05 04 2009

It is hard to write about anything else today... With clear iconic images still very fresh to mind. Who would want to write about anything else... But the days have been eventful and so many things are happening. It is history in the making. I just want to write about my thoughts during these eventual times.

I visited Project Space Pilipinas last May 2 and found a good crowd. We had a long discussion and it was great fun just listening too. The space offers artists a studio and a venue for works. Peng Zamora's residency just ended and his large works were up. I found them good and contemporary. The space brought me a glimpse of finding your center. The exhibit hinted at the premise. PSP hopefully would encourage artists to make better works and better discussions. Let us support a good thing.

It was a rude awakening that some of the people you also knew have fallen under different situations. Some have not been successful and fallen into sticky situations and even outright criminals. Some cycles are repeated in history. Lesson would need to be relearned. People would always point fingers to blame. Some have soared and flourished. The times have empowered a lot. In the few years we already see the different perspectives and hopefully better goals. I have hope for everyone to make changes for the Philippine contemporary arts. We do have to confront our ghosts and have closure. I made mine and I would continually reap what I have sown. We make our own choices in the end and with it what we would live upon when we grow older. Our artmaking has flourished or died down because of our choices and principles. It is up to everyone to achieve what makes them complete. Let's trim down on excesses and focus. Visual artists do need to survive. It does not only mean financial but on other planes of encouragement.

Yesterday my grandmother flew from Ilo-ilo and we had to fetch her from Naia Terminal 3 during the big Manny Pacquiao fight. Like dutiful grandsons we went to the airport and fetched her and waited... With technology today we could watch and get news about the ongoing fight even before we left home and the regular cable broadcast. It was so convenient and really anticlimactic. It was up on youtube after a few minutes of the actual fight. We knew the results by phone and text messages.

Who would think that even with the prominence of the H1N1 epidemic an icon could fill up a stadium in an almost quarantined state. The same scare that brought hundreds of pigs to extinction in Egypt is the same threat that will bring many countries to their knees if not handled properly... This is what makes legends. It was a sorry plight for the losing individual. That is life. Very brief events could change you dramatically.

I also found a warehouse that sells to be repacked biscuits at discounted prices... With so many kids around we hurriedly bought a sackful. One should be thrifty nowadays thinking about what Manny Pacquiao earned after the fight.

I also had an eventful day yesterday as my computer crashed. I was able to set it up again quickly. I was worried that I had to reformat it. Something about downloading updates and being prompted for Windows Genuine software.. Tsk. Thank you Thank you I settled it by nixing this and nixing that... Probably a virus. It was A ok after a few minutes.

Pinoys were brought together with this latest Manny Pacquiao classic fight addition. I am sure the survey would again be good for a few personalities. No one would think about anything bad for a few days as everyone would be euphoric.

I visited a new gallery today to see a fellow Asian Cultural Council grantee Mideo Cruz. It is a space that is promising to watch. Lunduyan Gallery has the similar window gallery setting as Surrounded By Water Angono. Having Mideo exhibit and talk there is something of a feat. I enjoyed my stay immensely and would be watching for new shows and different artists. I liked sharing some stories of my stay in New York in 2003. We spent the time drinking tuba and dissecting anecdotes of the pioneers of "Ang Tunay na Lalaki" slogan. So many things to do and so many people to meet. This is a passion that I continue to live on.

Now back to reality.

Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
ChatGPT-4 

and my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/ag-roldan.html


please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


Comments

Popular Posts