An Old Maid, A Storm Surge and A Forgotten Birthday

10032011

Last night, I spent the time talking with relatives abroad in ********. Re: It's a god given country anywhere but my country. Ha ha ha ha ha... Hardly any art happens there? Not me. I just want to visit for a day. Is there any artist who wants to go and actually stay there? Nothing much happens there. A cousin recently left to work there cleaning his act. The novelty hasn't worn off yet so everyone is in a chirping mood. It was another of those skype chat topics that end up unexpectedly about the youngest cousin. Me. (Greatest looking and enigmatic dude among the brood). Hey, I am writing this so that stays. That is me. The painter among well accomplished professional farts. It was about mundane things, unimportant, earthly concerns and unchallenging vision. The big question. How one should rethink their priorities, immigrate and get hitched quickly before the juice of your sperm drizzles, dries up and be laid to waste? Hahahahaha. I am 39 and single. Am enjoying singlehood without the trappings of responsibilities. Am living my life. It is the time even my mother has finally given up asking me to find a partner and have kids. Finally! Adulthood at my fingertips.



I guess after the greetings and how dos'? With nothing else to say. One has to comment about how great life is of having a family. I have one. I have a life. No questions about that. Not to me, there is none. It is the logical thing to be critical of another's state of mind or status. No harm meant. (It was a family member I was talking with and I never take offense.) After a few jabs, flights, ducks and stings, one just happens to land a lucky punch - bring in the rowdy jests, teasings and camaraderie puns of older cousins in a state of bliss, professional stability, enlightened purpose, and eternal contentment. Well, it is to be expected. Among boys, one will always have competition. Never mind that we all will be in our forties. Who had the prettiest broad, slept with whom, been associated with and did that? Trying to avoid another killer topic (I will just talk about this the next time) ends up on the ins and outs of accomplishing getting a visa. Too ordinary I guess. Never mind that I tell them I am doing a lot of visiting hopefully this coming year and might drop by their house of abode to be regaled on how great life abroad as an immigrant is. It's my status they say... I am unemployed and just nixed a great opportunity to stay with a great company like any normal person. Perhaps that's it! I don't feel normal that I have to get everything done to be happy. I need not be married to be contented I need not be with kids to be satisfied in my career. Having learned early that you don't want your older cousins to be a step ahead of you. Keep your cards hidden and one just nods and does what one wants in the end. Weird really. I like having older cousins and having them stay dimwitted forever. Quite convenient for me not to match brawn with any of them through the years. I just don't want to waste time arguing when we accomplish other greater thoughts and pranks. So here I am hitched with a FB pal, ogling at FB pictures, adding up a virtual stranger to my FB list of friends probably without anything in common. Sigh. Let's hope the blond blue eyed woman adds me first and not the old maid -"an older maiden" could be a better and practical stringing of words. That's life for me now. I did request for imported rubber shoes to be sent to my address for an icebreaker. Nice. If it happens then it happens - so be it. Am practical.



Another topic then. One could hardly miss the typhoon Pedring that caused a storm surge along some of our coastal areas. Pity. So many natural calamities every year. I guess we have to prepare ourselves for the changes in our lives. I just want to add that mirroring all the calamities the past few years we still lack the right attitude and preparation despite all the experiences. Higher costs and taxes happened this year. Inept and blunt reasoning still prevails. Filipinos are just waiting for the next elections for the grandstanding and the empty promises.



It was one of those days that a rare thing happens. I forgot a birthday. Since the person having his natal day doesn't have a FB or any other social network this event happened. There was a time forgetting seems normal but now you could be prompted about upcoming birthdays ahead of time to prepare. No excuses. I guess this would be the cool thing nowadays. On the plus side, one could set up greeting cards that would also send automatically thus freeing you the mundane task of sending out one. Convenient not to be inconvenienced. That's modern life. My nephew of three doesn't have a FB. Normal parents nowadays would have set one up for their none FBing toddlers to post convenient photos, videos, and updates. It's the season too and likely a great way to connect with erstwhile inattentive godparents. Better just get up from my stool now and shower for the event. Tsk tsk tsk.


Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
ChatGPT Amiel Roldan

at my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/a-g-roldan.html

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com



P.S. A friend posted this disclosure. I am willing to try it out.

Warning: Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or... the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Comments

Popular Posts