A Good Night


A Good Night
January 8, 2010, 10:51 pm
***12 08 2009



I went to Finale Gallery tonight for Poklong Ananding's and Jason Oliveria's solo exhibition opening.   I also wanted to see the collection exhibition opening for Nova Gallery.   This was the first time I was able to see a show there.   The space was well made.   Very much chic.   It was a night I expected to see good works and revisit again some of the better pieces that were bought by Mr.   Cojuangco through the years.   I am happy to see them in good condition and marvel at the impact they still have on me.   I remember that they started my enthusiasm for great works and good exhibitions.   I saw again the works by Norberto Roldan, Neil Doloricon, Delotavo, Egai Fernandez, Nune Alvarado, Charlie Co, Santiago Bose, Bogie Tence Ruiz et al.   These are the major artists of their time.   I was lucky enough to attend several of the major shows that some were exhibited in.   I saw on many occasions that they were some of the best pieces then and still are now.   How I admire Santiago Bose's piece.   It was quite timeless.  I knew at one time even the late curator Bobi Valenzuela's appreciation were imbued through touch perhaps on some of these paintings?   My good friend Bobi V. Sigh... My personal contemporary favorites were works by Nona Garcia, Alfredo Esquillo and Lara delos Reyes.   I see with these two galleries a consistent strive for excellence.  I hope it would continue and be reflected throughout the Philippine arts scene.

I started to go around Finale first.   I remember the very first show by Jason that I helped with at SBW Angono when he was also energetic.   It was quite consistently in your face.   I also admire that Pablo Gallery at the Fort where he recently showed his exhibition supported him.   Installing a beer opener on several large paintings is a touch of insanity that would probably get him off a Cebu Pacific plane.   I was starting to browse through Jason's amazing, f#@*cking irreverent beer paintings when I met two artists based in Los Angeles inviting for their opening at Jorge B. Vargas Museum.   They have their show on Jan 14 2010. I will attend to show my support on their efforts to present their works in the Philippines.   It was really hard to invite while I was assistant curator at Jorge B. Vargas and I can relate.   Tsk tsk tsk   I would probably end up helping install too.   Hahahaha.   One was a Mexican-American artist named Camilio Ontiveros and Filipino-Korean-American installation artist Michelle Dizon were quite enthusiastic and quite amiable.  Feeling a bit guilty of not showing them around to meet other guests, I took personal charge in making them known to most of the relevant people attending the two exhibitions.   I even relayed anecdotes and personal information on some of the pieces.   It turned out great and am very happy that I too met some great people tonight.   I even had a chance to sound off some established artists for my future proposals.   Heh heh heh...

I really liked the atmosphere.   I always liked walking the ledge of a precipice.   The tension was thick and the anticipation suffocating.   The place was thriving on the eve before the Black Nazarene.   It was quite surreal.   Affluent, social personalities, government officials, critics, collectors, gallery owners and struggling artists mingled and cohabited.   Smokes, lambanog, beer, jutz, and alcohol flowed too freely.   Canapé, cheese and wine brought a pleasantly choking taste to my throat several times.   This was a night it might happen that I might actually barf.   Perfumes where cloying amidst glitters and my rags the time while I was in Nova Gallery that I had to really laugh out.   I admire some friends who knew their stand in this art scene yet I sympathized that they could also be overcome and be quite speechless.   I didn't know how to apologize to my friends, rue fates and at the same time be awestruck.   LMFAO!   We were like butterflies trapped and felt the harsh scrutiny before one would be pinning us under glass.

I was able to speak personally with Manuel Ocampo for the first time and found his personality matches a great deal on how he relates to people and how he looked at his own works and status.   I am amazed that we had more to talk about positively and exchanged more than pleasantries.   I got a personally signed calling card with his phone number.   Hmmmm.   I wonder how much it costs in an auction?   Hahahaha.   Let's hope it turns out to be a great immersion, more exhibitions and a start of a good collaboration.   I ended the night early and begged off going out with them for more drinks.   I was in high spirits.   Guessed, I was just scared to be disappointed and of too much of a good thing.   It was something I could do the next time.   I can wait.   Patience.   I didn't want to overstay my welcome and I already had more to mull over and write about.

Life is really great!   Finally, I called Dennis Elliot, my ISCP director up in New York City on the internet phone and personally thanked him for his recommendation letter.   He is a good friend when I stayed in New York City and I appreciate him very much.

Life does change.   I have to make decisions that I have to deliberate on my own now.   My comfort pillows are gone now.   I have to make a big effort and encompass more people.   I should not be overwhelmed by short term results and to make more of the opportunities that come my way.   I have decided then to give independent consultations and curatorial a bigger slice of my efforts.   I missed my mentors and I missed exchanging ideas.   Now, I have to create those and mold them to form greater concepts and present them to artists here and abroad.   I have to be much more learned, accountable and a responsible person.   I guess it all boils down to what I know, respect and understand.

I also called Margaret Cogswell, my program director in ACC New York, but she was at a meeting.   I will just call again when she is free.   I wanted to inquire about some details of presenting a proponent's application for sponsorship abroad.   A big project I admire and hopefully would be supported.
I do have to at some point to take charge and direct projects no matter the overwhelming factors and consider the intrinsic value of supporting great exhibitions, good artworks and greater artists with lasting stay.   I always want them to be recognized internationally.   I want that for the best.













* * *


Hello Aunt Angie and Family,

I know it is the quarter of Bobi's special time.   His Birthday is fast coming this March too.  I am sorry that I have been a stranger but I do have to deal with my losses too.   I am happy that I am able to share now some thoughts.   I am never a confidant but am learning humility, openness and importance of family and friends anew.
The time does make us sometimes forget but when we remember we feel the loss still.   It may not be tactile but emotional memories that wrung my heart.   He inspired me the most to speak out and guided me to where I am now.   The Christmas, New Year and Bobi's death anniversary never passed not noted.   Our loss of a good friend and family remains with our hope that Bobi is very much happy with his sojourn.   Today is the Black Nazarene.   I hope Bobi V is with our creator now very much content to leave the everyday dealings with us.   Ha ha ha ha … I can just imagine that they would serve brewed coffee and endless art talks held in rapt court.   Although Bobi never was much for his faith with words I know he urges us to be hopeful and overcome hardships throughout our lives.   He shares with us every happy moment and supports us in our failures.

Last night, and Mr.   Cojuanco's opening of his collection at the Nova Gallery at Pasong Tamo Extension I was reminded of Bobi V. The simple efforts he made while still with us, the works he arranged and suggested to art buyers, exhibitions that he made possible and the artists he inspired to great goals came to mind.   It was among the socialites and personalities within who attended the show and drank wine and ate blue cheese that I was brought back to remember how Bobi V was.   Aloof… He disdained openings Ha ha ha ha.. He always made me go to every one and made me report every detail and observation much to the chagrin of unaware artist having the show.   Amidst the government guests, collectors and politicians he could have held himself court and deigned to raise his eyebrow to such affluence and trivialities.   He could sermon on neglect in art and the lack of better artists and rued on grandstanding.   I helped and watched him arrange some of the pieces shown there now in the collection of Mr.   Cojuanco.   Santiago Bose works make me cry always.   Remembering Neil Doloricon's exhibition and Nune Alvarado's painting make me weep.   Egai Fernandez work and Bogie Tence Ruiz made me remember anecdotes he said.   I know with them remains Bobi V. physically.   His touch remains, ideas, sermons and inspirations and care were there.  I wanted to touch part of the painting frames hopefully to connect.   Sigh... I am thankful again for what ever small effort and grace that enabled us to have Bobi V as mentor, curator, friend and family longer.   Thank you Angie.  I am so happy Bobi gave us this opportunity to be friends and family too.   Regards and Happy New Year!   I am in Manila nowadays.   I would be visiting Bobi V. this week.   Take care always.



*** A Disclosure for My Blogs


My Humble Apologies to Everyone.

I wish I had the patience to edit and reedit my writings / paint and repaint works.     I know I missed a lot of errors.     I tend to drag, digress, compromise, and be emotional about accounts.     A typical OCD.     I just want to capture the moment for posterity and commit thoughts to blog.     Staring at a blank piece of paper, I just want to make my marks.     I enjoy writing and will continue until the end.     I enjoy editing and repainting.     Live life fully.     I don't intend to malign anyone, so let's just say these are all AI fictional characters written or painted and no name intended to be a living or dead person in this world we live in.   All creations in this private world are mine and mine alone.   lol ...  


Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines


#35-D P. Oliveros St., Barangka Ibaba,
Mandaluyong City, Philippines
(63) 09493258682 



*** visit me at ChatGPT-4
http://www.facebook.com/miel.roldan

and my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/ag- roldan.html


please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com


https://paypal.me/AmielGeraldRoldan


Warning: Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or... the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.   You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents therein.   The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.   UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE




******



A Time for Respite
December 17, 2009, 9:14 pm
****12 18 2009

Am in big for 2010. A lot of my plans are realizing and have been swamped with details.   I have plans to travel abroad to Belgium and France (hmmm do I need a visa?), have been swamped with pre-employment details with JPMC– it's a bank — 2x hmmm?…, have been encouraged to work with several galleries with their exhibitions — working to get there, been invited to a few for my solo exhibitions – just verbal invites.   My own works and studies are great for 2010 — in my head.   LOL!   My plans for solo exhibitions are moving forward.   Gaining dust fast!   Finally, my studio plans in my residence are still up!   Literally in the air!   Heh heh heh!   I can't ask for more.   I am happy that these opportunities are happening lately and quite pleased with my hiatus.   I am in Manila now for good.   I wished though that more of my friends were here with me.   A toast to Bobi Valenzuela and Sid Hildawa!   I will always remember you guys!   A merry year for us all and a second or two to think of friends and family to thank for!   Kudos to you my good friends!   It is always great to remember people who are important and make it meaningful for you.   They remember you and what you did and you remember them.   Family matters are fine so I need not worry too much.  That comes with getting a stable income and getting insurances with it for my parents. I am committed to that.   Always take care of your family.
I have been staying away from some exhibition openings lately, I would like to know more about the emerging artists though.   I have been pleasantly surprised that they have been doing well on their exhibitions and been quite visible.   It is really a small art scene we have here in the Philippines and very little is not known.   I hope we would learn accountability and practice professionalism always.   I will be more vocal this coming 2010 and would also be working to organize and coordinate group shows.   I am aiming to have shows abroad too.
The Philippines is stronger despite the heavy trials.   The successive typhoons, floodings, rebellion, martial law, politicking, volcanic eruptions have taken their toll but not the Filipino spirit.   We remain stronger and optimistic always.   We have so many things to be proud of.   Distinctions that set all of us apart and make us better Filipinos.   Those pessimistic people should just stay abroad and immigrate.   To hell with you guys!   Imfao!   Heh heh heh!
We look forward to a new beginning and a new day.   The adversaries have been almost insurmountable but true heroes have emerged.   I am happy that these unknown supporters help and more than make up for the publicity stunts that few misled ones dare practice – that goes for the art scene in the Philippines too.   Talent and hard work pays more than strutting your big fat ass, boring us with theatrics and insecurities around.
There is also a change of concepts and refinements of outdated ones too to look forward.   There may be similarities in some but original ideas would also prevail over half baked ones.   There might be young artists capitalizing on the changes but they would still have a long road ahead of them.   Reprisals will come to haunt you if you ever forget.   The older ones would know how to work with their own concepts, bide their time and continue their momentum.   Still there are those who settle to prostitute themselves and they will always fall short.   It is a cruel fate we have of dog eating dog if you have this attitude of taking advantage and not giving yourself to your artmaking fully.   Still, if one would think a few hyped exhibitions, grandstanding, herding into one art group, collecting made-up awards, more schooling, auctions and public personalities are all that are important then go for it.   It's a free country.   Whatever makes you happy.   We are here for the long run.   I would always think that here I would retire in the Philippines and paint in my old age. Senility becomes me and if I am still single then I would be happy and be complete.   So I would be here too guys.   My own works would be here too so make space.   Welcome young artists to my world.   Heh heh heh
I am going to the UP Lantern parade tonight December 18, 2009 to enjoy and to touch base where all my young sentiments had started so many years before.   Maybe get some fresh air.





Amiel Gerald A. Roldan™
Mandaluyong City, Philippines

*** visit me at
ChatGPT Amiel Roldan

and my blogs:

www.amielroldan.wordpress.com
www.amielroldan.blogspot.com
www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/ag-roldan.html

please comment and tag if you like my compilations.

amiel_roldan@yahoo.com
amiel.roldan@gmail.com



PS A friend posted this disclosure.   I am willing to try it out.

Warning: Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or... the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.   You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents therein.   The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.   UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE




******


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Stay In New York City

A Disclosure for My Blogs

Ruminating Death